What is Dwelling Insurance?

Dwelling Insurance is part of your homeowners insurance policy that covers the structure in the event of a hazardous event, such as a fire, fail, or flood, that may help in the need of rebuilding and/ or a repair.

This type of coverage includes not only the facade or the structure but also the rooms, floors, carpets and everything about the house. If we look in the dictionary, a dwelling is defined as a place of shelter or residence. But when it comes to insurance, the meaning is much broader because it protects your house and anything included in your property such as the front and back porches, deck, garage, etc.

What unexpected events are covered by dwelling insurance?

While you should always check with your insurance company first, these are typically the hazardous events covered by dwelling insurance: Fire/smoke, hail, snowstorm, windstorms, an act of vandalism, lightning strikes, explosion, theft, and falling objects, among others.

A standard homeowner’s insurance will not, however, cover earthquakes or damage caused by lack of maintenance and flooding. If you live in an area that is known to have flooding damage due to hurricanes or other events, Infinity Insurance can help you obtain a policy that suits your needs and budget.

How much coverage do I need for my dwelling insurance policy?

Your dwelling insurance policy should cover any damage caused to the structure of your house as well as to your attached garage and any other instances of your property. To be sure of the type of coverage you would need, have your house appraised first and then speak to your insurance company to determine what the right amount of coverage would be to have your property protected.

What’s the difference between dwelling and homeowners insurance?

The main difference between these two types of insurance is determining which you consider being your primary place of residence, which would be where you stay the most during the year.

A homeowner’s insurance policy provides you with standard insurance for your personal property.

Should you insure unattached structures?

As stated above, dwelling insurance will cover most of your property as long as it is attached to your structure. So, what happens though if you have a detached garage or any other parts of your property such as a swimming pool, gazebo or guest house?

In this case, you may want to take a look at your coverage and see if your homeowners insurance policy includes this type of protection. An expert can help you find the right coverage for your situation.

As a homeowner, there are many things you need to take into consideration before moving in. That’s why we want to make it easy for you to choose the best homeowners insurance for you. Call one of our friendly agents at 1-800-INFINITY, and they'll help you decide on the type of policy that suits your needs and budget. You may also visit our website to get a quick quote within minutes

The materials available in the Knowledge Center are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact legal counsel to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of this website or any of the links contained within the website do not create representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.