Hit and Run Accident: What to Do Next?
WHAT TO DO:
• Remain calm.
• Telephone the proper authorities and inform them of any injuries. Regardless of the circumstances, report the accident to the police.
• Check for any injuries and administer first aid if necessary.
• Record the name, address and phone number of the other driver. Always write down the make and license number of any vehicles that are involved.
• Collect the names, addresses and phone numbers of all passengers and witnesses.
• Take photos of the accident scene if possible.
• Do not admit fault.
• Ask the investigating officer how to obtain a copy of the police report.
• Notify your agent or insurance company immediately.
INSURANCE COVERAGE CLASSIFICATION
• Liability coverage – covers liability and expenses when you are at fault
• Bodily injury liability – covers medical expenses of injured parties when you are at fault
• Property damage liability – pays for damages to the other vehicle and the property of others when you are at fault
• Personal insurance protection (PIP) – covers medical expenses for you and your passengers after an accident
• Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage – covers your costs if the party who hit you doesn’t have insurance or the coverage they do have is not sufficient
• Collision – covers repairs to your car; if don’t own your car, it is a requisite
• Comprehensive – covers damages or theft of your vehicle outside of a collision
You can also purchase insurance to protect your car:
• 50/100/50 – recommended for older vehicles and few assets; also, students and some retirees may opt for this level
• 100/300/100 – suggested for middle-income earners with savings and other assets
• 250/500/100 – recommended for those in the higher financial tiers
EACH CASE IS UNIQUE
The materials available in the Knowledge Center are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact legal counsel to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of this website or any of the links contained within the website do not create representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.