Starting January 2, 2015, the new California state law AB 60 grants undocumented immigrants the chance to lawfully obtain a driver's license. Taking advantage of this exciting new opportunity means understanding the proper procedures and documentation needed to obtain this type of license.
Infinity Auto Insurance created this checklist to provide you with valuable information to help you get your driver's license! Complete the steps below, and you’ll be on your way!
- Schedule an appointment with your local DMV office to begin your application process.
- Insure your vehicle! Car insurance is required by law not only to take the driving test but also to drive on public roads. Infinity can verify your insurance coverage. Just call 1-800-290-AB60.
- Gather together your identity and residency documents and prepare the application fee of $33.
- Fill out the DL-44 application to apply for your driver’s license. Call 1-800-777-0133 or visit your local DMV office to obtain the form ahead of time.
- Prepare for the the driver’s license knowledge test with the California Driver License Handbook and Infinity’s FREE practice test.
- Make sure you pass the vision exam by having your eyes checked and any prescriptions updated if necessary.
- Schedule a future appointment for your driving test. Though there is no mandatory waiting period to take the driving test, you must make a separate appointment in order to take the driving test. In the mean time, you will receive a driver’s permit that will allow you to drive with an adult 18 years of age or older who has a valid California license. This permit will remain effective until you are able to pass your driving test.
Infinity wants to help you on the journey to your AB 60 license, so if you don’t have car insurance yet, you can get a FREE quote with Infinity.