What You Need to Know About Insuring a Tiny Home

There’s a recent movement for wanting to downsize living spaces, and even to be able to take your house on the road. Tiny homes and camper vans are becoming more popular across the U.S. not only among young people, but also senior citizens who want to live off the grid or wake up in a different town each day. New questions arise with this new form of living. The main one has to do with insuring a tiny home. Do you need insurance? If so, what type of coverage do you need?

The answers to these questions vary, depending on the type of tiny home you’re planning to buy or build.

When you have a tiny home, just like with a full-size house, it’s a good idea to protect your assets and keep your loved ones safe with homeowner’s insurance. Tiny homes are more vulnerable than regular houses. Some insurance companies specialize in these types of miniature homes.

You could also look at policies for manufactured homes.

Tiny Home on Wheels

Some people decide to make these houses mobile so they can explore different parts of the country. But this living style comes with added insurance challenges.

Once your tiny home becomes mobile, it needs coverage that’s similar to RV insurance. After all, it’s now a house on wheels. What this means is that, at a minimum, you’ll need liability auto insurance.

Check to see if your home state requires your mobile tiny home to be certified by the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) or the National Organization of Alternative Housing (NOAH). Take these aspects into consideration before you buy or start building your house on wheels.

Some insurance companies won’t insure your tiny home unless they see proof that it’s certified by these organizations. The NOAH standard provides the proof needed to guarantee your house on wheels meets all the safety, construction and energy efficiency standards. Visit their website for more information about getting certified.

Cost of Insuring Your Tiny Home

Building a tiny home has an average cost of $23,000, according to the website The Spruce. But some require an investment of up to $100,000. Protecting these assets is crucial to ensure a comfortable life on the road.

Insuring your tiny home can cost anywhere between $400 and $1,500 a year. If you want to take your house on the road, obtaining standard RV insurance may not be enough, as these policies are intended for vacation homes. If you plan to live in your house on wheels permanently, consider getting more coverage. Speak to your insurance company or shop around to see who provides the best value in terms of coverage and cost.

RV Insurance With Infinity

If you need to insure an RV, Infinity Insurance has different coverage options through non-affiliated companies.

These policies come with water damage protection, just like homeowner’s insurance. Liability insurance normally protects you against water damage, collision and fires.

There are many types of RVs. Now that these pint-sized houses have entered the market, it can be hard to find the right insurance plan.

Our friendly agents can help you determine the type of coverage you need for your tiny home or RV. Call us today at 1-800-INFINITY to see how we can help you with your RV or tiny home, so you can make an easy transition into your dream home on wheels.

The materials available in the Knowledge Center are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact legal counsel to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of this website or any of the links contained within the website do not create representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.