AB 60 Document Requirements

One of the requirements for obtaining your AB 60 license is that you must prove your identity and California residency with documentation. You will not be able to obtain your AB 60 license without bringing this important documentation.

Proving Your Identity

If you have a foreign passport from an approved country, this is all you will need to bring to prove your identity.

There also three (3) documents from Mexico that are the only documents you will need to bring to prove identification if you have them. These documents must be valid and electronically verified by the California DMV:

  • Mexican Federal Electoral Card (Instituto Federal Electoral (IFE) Credencial para Votar - 2013 version).
  • Mexican Passport that was issued in 2008 or later.
  • Mexican Consular Card (Matricula Consular - 2006 and 2014 versions).

If you do not have a foreign passport or your passport is not from an approved country, don’t worry! You will need to provide a national identification card OR a consular card AND a certified birth certificate. The California DMV only accepts national identification cards and consular cards from Argentina, Chile, El Salvador, Peru, and Guatemala. Consular cards from Guatemala and Brazil will be accepted. The birth certificate must either be:

  1. Issued by the national civil registry within six (6) months of the application date for the California license and must contain an embedded photo of the applicant.
  2. Accompanied by a translated Apostille authentication.

Applicants who do not have any of the above documents must bring as many supporting documents of identification as possible. Supporting documents include, but are not limited to:

  • School documents that include applicant’s date of birth and includes a photograph
  • Documents issued by or filed with the United States government
  • Official documents such as marriage license or domestic partnership registration
  • Divorce decrees
  • Foreign passport, consular identification card, foreign national identification card, or a foreign driver’s license
  • Identification cards issued by the U.S. or a municipal or state government with the applicant’s photograph

Proving California Residency

The applicant must bring at least 1 document that proves residency in California. Common documents include:

  • Rental or lease agreement
  • Deed or title to a residential property
  • Mortgage bills
  • Employment documents
  • Medical documents
  • School documents
  • Records of financial institution

Providing documentation that proves your identity and residency in California is a crucial step to obtaining your AB 60 license. The officials at the DMV will review and verify these documents before you take the written knowledge test, so make sure that you have all of the right documents gathered together before you head to your appointment!

The materials available in the Knowledge Center are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact legal counsel to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of this website or any of the links contained within the website do not create representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.